KIPP Bay Area Schools Teaching Residency
KIPP, the Knowledge Is Power Program, is a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools dedicated to preparing students in underserved communities for success in college and in life. In the San Francisco Bay Area, 11 KIPP schools are developing in our students the knowledge, skills and character to thrive in college, shape their futures and positively impact the world.
The mission of the KIPP Bay Area Schools teaching residency is to create a best-in-class teacher engine. We believe that training and development is core to ignite that engine. Launching this initiative will allow us to:
- ● Train teachers to be highly effective in their first year
- ● Create a talent pipeline of strong STEM teachers
- ● Retain highly effective teachers in the Bay Area
About the Residency
The KIPP Bay Area Schools Teaching Residency offers:
- ● A one-year program that integrates exceptional academic preparation and practical teaching experience
- ● Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction from University of the Pacific at a deeply discounted tuition rate
- ● California Preliminary Teaching Credential, in one of the following subject areas:
- -English (grades 6-12)
- -Math (grades 6-12)
- -Science (grades 6-12)
- -Social Studies (grades 6-12)
- -Multi- Subject:
- ● The opportunity to work in a KIPP classroom and learn from a highly-effective, trained Mentor Teacher four days/week for an entire school year
- ● An employer provided iPhone and laptop
- ● Priority hiring for a full-time teaching position at a KIPP school in the Bay Area after your first year of the program.
KIPP Bay Area School Locations
- ● San Francisco College Preparatory
- ● KIPP King Collegiate
- ● KIPP Summit Academy
- ● KIPP Heartwood Academy
- ● KIPP Heritage Academy
- ● KIPP San Jose Collegiate
Applying to the KIPP Teaching Residency
The 2017-18 teaching residency application launches in September. Read the job description and apply here.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Click here to join our newsletter!
Refer a Future Teacher here!
The Teaching Residency financial structure is intended to provide an affordable, high-quality pathway to teaching. The core components to the KIPP Bay Area Teacher Residency financial package are:
- Residents pay the deeply discounted University of the Pacific (California Residents) and Relay Graduate School of Education (Memphis Residents) tuition for their first year.
- Residents receive a stipend of $13,500 for the first year of the program.
- Financial aid is available through the University of the Pacific’s/Relay Graduate School of Education Financial Aid Office in order to help cover other costs.
- Loans acquired during undergraduate education can be deferred because Residents are enrolled in a Master’s program.
Below are some links that may aid in scholarship searches